Ski holidays Villars
Villars (and adjoining Les Diablerets) is one of those resorts that is often and unfairly overlooked by British skiers when choosing a destination for their next ski holiday. It is a pretty ski resort situated close to Geneva (which makes is a great weekend resort) and has a surprisingly large ski area, best suited to intermediate skiers. However, there are some good beginner slopes and there is a spectacular off-piste route off the back of the Les Diablerets glacier all the way down to the village - a vertical descent of 1,500 metres and best done with a qualified mountain guide! There are a number of wonderful hotels and chalets in Villars that we highly recommend booking.
- Pleasant, relaxing resort village
- Close to Geneva making it a good weekend destination
- Good nursery slopes and miles and miles of good intermediate cruising
- Good range of off-slope activities and diversions
- Link to Les Diablerets and its glacier (Villars ski area 125 kms, Les Diablerets area 100 kms)
- Unreliable snow cover at the beginning and end of the season
- Not much for experts on piste although there is some good under utilised off-piste terrain
Villars Resort Restaurants
There are many good restaurants based in hotels but others are the 'Sporting' for good pizzas and the 'Vieux Villars' for local specialities and there is also very popular is the Rotisserie.
Villars Mountain Restaurants
The Golf is always excellent. The Lac des Chavonnes is a popular choice and worth the walk from Bretaye. There is also a very good restaurant at the top of the Roc d'Orsay gondola. Other restaurants on the hill were generally large and canteen style with dull menus. However, there is a small one (not marked on the piste map) at Les Diablerets which was very twee in a rustic way. Also the small metal clad hut at the top of Glacier 3000 serves excellent food and is run by a charming if slightly eccentric chap.
Villars Apres Ski
Head for the Sporting and the Mini-Pub.
Good fun can be had at the Bowling bar. Head to El Gringoos for a dance in the disco. New venues include the Warm-Up bar and the Harambee bar lounge, which features live music and is open till late.