Tignes Les Boisses resort information - a general overview
Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) is the quietest of the Tignes ski resorts. It is the first resort you pass after crossing the famous dam below Val d'Isere. Most of the resort is set back away from the main road so driving through on up to Tignes Le Lac you would hardly be aware that a ski resort existed here at all. It is however currently undergoing a massive renovation project. Not only has it been rebranded Tignes 1800 but MGM have also built a large eco accommodation development/resort which was completed in 2014.
Although lower than some of the other Tignes resorts it still has great access to the Espace Killy slopes, and in a few short lifts you can be in the hub of the Tignes skiing. The Boisses gondola takes you up to the L'Aiguille Percee side of the Tignes ski area and from here you can connect to the rest of the ski domain. At an altitude of 1,800 metres Tignes 1800 is certainly very snow-sure and its great value accommodation make it an obvious choice for those on a budget.
Level of skiing
- Snow sure
- Ski area
- Charm factor
- Resort layout
- Fine dinning
- Short transfer
- Resort value
- Good value chalet accommodation - perfect for keen skiers looking for a cheap base.
- Huge terrain area suitable for all levels.
- One of the best lift systems in the world accessesing huge areas of off piste terrain.
- If the weather closes in there is some good tree skiing immediately above Tignes 1800.
- Virtually non existent nightlife and apres ski scene
- The transfer up the main Tarentaise Valley can be long on peak dates and in bad weather.
- No real sense of place - village is just strung out along the road leading up the mountain.
Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) Resort Restaurants
There is only a small collection of hotel restaurants in Tignes 1800. However, as the new MGM development completes there will be a wider selection available.
Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) Mountain Restaurants
For a French resort the mountain restaurants of Tignes (and Val d'Isere) area are pretty good. The Alpage (self service) and Lo Soli (table service) at the top of the Chaudannes chair from Tignes Le Lac are good. The restaurant at the top of Toviere is a good mid morning/afternoon pit stop (crowded at lunchtime). The Panoramic restaurant at the foot of the Grand Motte cable car is perfectly OK especially in warmer, sunnier weather when the large deck comes into its own. The restaurant under the Montana hotel is a good find, serving traditional Savoyarde food.
Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) Apres Ski
Quiet apres ski scene.
Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) Nightlife
Quiet nightlife scene